The initiation of pre-trial detention
- Brand: Markwordt Skehan, Dr. Anja
- Availability: In stock
- SKU: 9783941274709
The work deals with the legal comparison of detention law in Germany and the United States of America and draws important conclusions on the need for change in German law. After an outline of German law regarding arrests, the US legal system in general is presented. This is followed by...
The work deals with the legal comparison of detention law in Germany and the United States of America and draws important conclusions on the need for change in German law. After an outline of German law regarding arrests, the US legal system in general is presented. This is followed by explanations of the theory and practice of initiating pre-trial detention in the USA. Both the federal law of the United States of America and state law are discussed. State practice is illustrated by the laws of the states of California, Texas and New York. The present work is rounded off with a comparative law section. On the one hand, this shows the advantages of the US system, e.g. in terms of bail practice and the generally short length of proceedings following incarceration, but on the other hand, with critical analysis, it makes clear the general advantages of the German prison regulations.
- Title: The initiation of pre-trial detention
- Subtitle: A comparative legal study on the detention of the suspect in the preliminary proceedings in Germany and the USA - with special consideration of the legal systems of the US states of California, Texas and New York
- Author: Dr. Anja Markwordt Skehan
- Edition: 1st edition
- Published: 1st edition 07/29/2011
- Subject: Law
- Product Type: Book (Hardcover)
- Language: German
- Binding: Softcover (paperback)
- Dimensions: 21.0 x 14.8 cm (DIN A5)
- Scope: 527 pages
- Condition: New (shrink-wrapped in foil)
- Keywords: Arrest, bail, custody, detention, escape, risk of absconding, jail, detention order, arrest warrant, reason for detention, reasons for detention, detention, jail, California, catalog offenses, bail, night offence, New York, prison, legal comparison, Supreme Court, Texas , pre-trial detention, USA, collusion, duration of proceedings, arrest, warrent
The author, Anja Markwordt Skehan, studied law at the Technical University of Dresden and practiced law. In the course of research for this dissertation, the author worked at the US Attorney's Office in Santa Barbara / California. Further research trips took her to Austin / Texas and New York. The dissertation, rated "summa cum laude", was nominated for the Georg Helm Prize of the Technical University of Dresden in 2011.
DRM: Digital Watermark
This eBook contains a digital watermark and is therefore personalized for you. If the eBook is passed on to third parties abusively, it is possible to trace it back to the source.
File format: PDF (Portable Document Format)
With a fixed page layout, the PDF is particularly suitable for specialist books with columns, tables and figures. A PDF can be displayed on almost all devices, but is only suitable to a limited extent for small displays (smartphone, e-reader).
PC/Mac: You can read this eBook with a PC or Mac. You need a PDF viewer - e.g. Adobe Reader.
eReader: This eBook can be read with (almost) all eBook readers. However, it is not compatible with the Amazon Kindle.
Smartphone/Tablet: Whether Apple or Android, you can read this eBook. You need a PDF viewer - e.g. Adobe Reader.
Buying eBooks from abroad
For tax law reasons we can sell eBooks just within Germany and Switzerland. Regrettably we cannot fulfill eBook orders from other countries.